Friday, May 22, 2009

The Filthy Martini


By merely posting about Martini's I am creating (stirring up?) controversy. Controversy between the Gin Martini vs. Vodka Martini set, the shakers vs. stirrers. Vermouth lovers and haters. Even the amount and kind of olives used are debated amongst purists.

To this end I would like to defend myself by stating that I am neither a bartender nor master mixologist. I like what I like, and I like dirty, nay, filthy martinis. And garlic stuffed olives, and gin.

What makes this martini filthy is the liberal addition of olive brine, and yes, a garlic stuffed olive. This is less drink and more appetizer, and oh so good.

I refuse to lecture you on shaking vs. stirring, the benefits of a vermouth spritzer, etc. The following is an account of how I, prefer my martini, and I demand you enjoy it too~!




The Filthy Martini
Yields 1 drink. Note: I recommend placing a couple glasses in the freezer so you always have one chilled and ready.

1 1/2 cups crushed or cracked ice
3 oz gin (3 standard shots)
1 oz (1 standard shot) Dry Vermouth (or more or less to taste)
2 tablespoons olive brine (the juice from the jar of olives)
1 Garlic Stuffed Olive

1. Place the olive in a well chilled martini glass.
2. Fill a tall glass or shaker with ice.
3. Add gin, vermouth, and olive brine to shaker.
4. Stir lightly approx. 10 revolutions.
5. Immediately strain into glass.

Lather, rinse, repeat as desired.

1 comment:

  1. Hey J - I just remembered Sean Connery barking out the recipe to a bartender in an early bond movie:

    "one measure Gordon's(!) gin, one measure vodka, half-measure dry vermouth"

    f

    ReplyDelete