Friday, May 22, 2009

Return of the Fro-Yo



Which one of these trends from the 80's is back to haunt us:

A) FAME: The Movie
B) Big Hair
C) Frozen Yogurt Stores
D) The Soviet Union

Give up? Well, technically all of the above.... but I am here to deride the return of the novelty Fro-Yo movement. I will not give in. I refuse to condone any movement that involves the potential combination of green tea, fruity pebbles, and carob. No people, this is wrong. Light, fluffy, fun, and wrong.

Noah and I recently visited "yogurtland" (no, really, that's what it's called) on La Brea the other night, for a post-Indian Food cooldown. The people watching was FAR more enjoyable than the silly self-serve dessert. It seemed like every gay, asian, and fashionista (and a few gaysianista's) in a 15 block radius had turned out to cram their gob with 3 lbs of frozen yogurt.



For our part we enjoyed "Fresh Strawberry, Toasted Coconut, Blueberry Tart and Heath Bar" flavors as we watched no fewer than 3 fender-benders as people crossed 3 lanes of traffic to wedge their way into the tiny parking lot.

Maybe the Indian food had dulled our tastebuds, but neither Noah or I were blown away by the nearly flavorless yogurts that all sorta tasted the same after the first bite.

I couldn't help but reminisce about the seemingly millions of Heidi's Frogen Yozurt (not a typo) shop's that dotted my childhood and seemed to anchor every strip-mall across the greater LA/OC/Riverside area in the 80's. Tart yogurt, gummy bear toppings, and a limited choice of vanilla, chocolate, or chocolate vanilla swirl. Sound vaguely familiar?

Still.... anywhere there are gaysianistas, a trend is either on its way in or out, so who am I to judge? All I'm saying is I'll take Ben & Jerry over Pinkberry any day of the week.

1 comment: